The length of time that one has lived in a specific location is not an indicator or predictor of flood risk. The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA’s) floodplain maps depict floodplains that have a 1% annual chance of occurring in any given year. Another way of stating this is that there is a 99% chance that a 100-year flood would not occur in any given year. Because the floodplain maps are based on the probability of a flood event occurring, a property located in the 100-year floodplain has only a 26% chance of experiencing a flood during a 30-year period. Furthermore, many of the record floods that have occurred in Pinal County, happened long ago. For instance, the most widely studied historic flood in Pinal County occurred in 1983. Other major floods have occurred in 1915 and 1993 as well.